This song will be up on the blog tomorrow, please look for it. Below are the lyrics to the ending stanza.
You poor devil, what weapons you bear, my mind can ruin You poor devil, your weapons bear, I alone cut you down You poor devil, your weapons fall, I see you clear in the mirror You poor devil, what weapons you bear, that I can’t defeat.....that I can't defeat
I am really starting to believe projects/ideas/songs/paintings/novels are more authentic before they are "finished."
In music songwriters talk about something called "demoitis." Its the idea of being obsessed with the demo of a song. Some definitions blame this obsession on familiarity you have with the recording. I think there is another component....... you haven't watered down the original idea yet, its still pure.
Sometimes I will sit on an idea/song too long without action and the idea/song looses authenticity and inertia....BUT if I move quickly from the birth of the song/idea to the next phase of the process the authenticity sticks around longer. For example:
Lets say I have 80% of the song completed, the remaining 20% is what allows for magic in the recording phase, and the quicker I can move to the recording phase the more of that initial emotion and feeling that wrote the song in the first place, sticks around to help deliver a performance. We are talking minutes to hours to days in my experience. Some songwriters are good at conjuring up the feeling of a song they wrote a year ago and delivering the performance. I hope someday I can get there, but for now I move quick so as not to loose that initial genuine feeling.
For me if the idea moves me in anyway I know its an emergency to get it to the next step ASAP.
The music and lyrics for a new EP have for the most part been written. Some arrangements and other details will be worked out through the recording process.
The metronome is KING! Deliberate practice in this way will provide space and opportunities to capture more authentic/felt/emotional live takes. Its so pleasant to get into the flow state with the metronome.
The studies show that you get better faster at music if you practice alone. Only by practicing alone can you perform whats called "deliberate practice." This is where you focus on the weak areas and improve them.
Made me think......that sounds kind of isolating. And I have spent plenty of time practicing music by myself. But on second thought, I never really felt that alone. The vibrations of sound and music are good company in themselves.
After a gig in Riverside CA a couple weeks back a friend from the crowd mentioned how much he liked the tone of the Telecaster. I thanked him and told him how its been my guitar for about 12 years and didn't think much of it.
He went on to explain how those years of playing it is what has made the sound. He said the micro vibrations in the wood give it all its tone and color, and that's the reason all those old vintage used guitars cost so much. Then he told me he worked for Fender Guitars.
He changed my entire perspective not only on the guitar, but all the tools we use. As they travel with us through life they also build character and have their own expression, so thankful for that.
Often I would set up a schedule for working on music. Such and such time for writing lyrics, some for practicing scales, some dedicated to creative time...etc.
I fell victim to that classic statement of "working harder and not smarter" Working smarter is listening to your intuition and feeling what is truly moving you creatively and following that path, instead of some predetermined routine thought up the night before. Although there is time for discipline and control, for me personally and creatively I could benefit from the freedom of intuitive practice and creation.
Two years ago this on September 13th I had the idea to start this blog. My grandmother had just passed away and I was in South Dakota to pay respects. It was an emotional time, and I knew I wanted to start sharing more about my musical journey and life. As I sat in the Rapid City, SD airport to fly back home this blog idea hit me. I could write, share music and thoughts, share photographs and just have a general outlet.......
BUT fear held me back for two whole years. The idea would come to me occasionally and I'd put it off, saying I'll do it soon, or doubting the idea all together. So here we are two years after the conception of an idea and finally I now have courage to do it. Shows how strong fear is in the world of artists and creative people.